12.15.2010

the hair brush

Lately, I've been thinking of a hair brush. It's no ordinary hair brush. The hair brush belonged to my grandma, in the 1970s and at some point she passed it on to me. I can remember her brushing my long hair with it. It always seemed like a really fancy hair brush to me, but that is probably because it belonged to my Grandma, whom I loved very much and had a very special relationship with.

It's a Mason Pearson hair brush. I never had a clue that this hair brush was so expensive until I started looking into replacing it recently. They cost about $200-300. Who knew! I hadn't a clue that there were hair brushes that cost so much. They are made in London and have been for some time. When I found out how dear the hair brush was, I began to search for it last night. Since it belonged to my grandma, I figured it couldn't be far. My search became frantic. I HAD to find this hair brush.

After about an hour and sometime after midnight, I found my beloved hair brush. I was so relieved. I cried. I washed the hair brush and began brushing my hair. The sound was so familiar. It was as if my grandma was brushing my hair. I felt her near. I cried and brushed my hair.

What does this have to do with infertility you may be asking yourself. This hair brush is like a piece of my grandma, something I can touch and hold and it makes me feel close to a person who is gone.

What will become of the hair brush, I thought. I would like to pass it on to my daughter or granddaughter or daughter in law and tell her about my grandma. I would like to pass things, material and immaterial, on to my children and grandchildren and have them remember me, long after I am gone.

It was so nice to feel my grandma near. She has been gone for 12 years. I plan to use my hair brush regularly from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment